Norton Antivirus now sneakily installs a crypto miner on your computer so you can mine crypto (and give some to them)
- "Belt Finance loses millions in latest BSC-based DeFi exploit", Cointelegraph
- "Belt", Rekt
- " SEC Charges U.S. Promoters of $2 Billion Global Crypto Lending Securities Offering", U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
- SEC v. BitConnect
Rumors swirl around what actually happened with DeFi100: a rug pull, or a simple website defacement?
The theft appeared to have been enabled by someone who had access to the project's admin key, and was able to change the token owner to an address where they then minted and withdrew tokens, amounting to a $7.6 million theft.
- "Spartan Protocol exploit results in loss of $30M", Cointelegraph
.game, and even
.christmas. The April auction grossed more than $40 million, but as of mid-December the transactions had not been completed. This is because UNR attempted to add some marketing flair to the auction by including NFTs for each of the TLDs, to go to the auction winners. ICANN, the group responsible for much of the domain world, objected to and withheld consent for the transactions, writing "we sought to understand the impact of the transactions on the Domain Name System ('DNS'), including how Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs) created on the Ethereum Name Service (ENS) were being used, and were involved in the transactions. ICANN repeatedly asked UNR for documentation or other information related to NFTs in the hopes that UNR would provide fulsome and complete responses."
- NFTs trip up Uniregistry's top level domain auctions, Domain Name Wire
- "Metakovan, the mystery Beeple art buyer, and his NFT/DeFi scheme", Amy Castor
- "JPG File Sells for $69 Million, as 'NFT Mania' Gathers Pace", The New York Times
An NFT artist changes all images in their collection to photos of rugs to make a point about the value of NFTs
- "Yearn.Finance puts expanded treasury to use by repaying victims of $11M hack", Cointelegraph
- "Yearn Finance suffers exploit, says $2.8 million stolen by attacker out of $11 million loss", The Block
- "DeFi platform Yearn moves to restore exploited 'vault' less than a week after $11 million loss", The Block
Tether pays $18.5 million in penalties; NY Attorney General alleges they don't have the cash reserves they claim
- "Tether, Bitfinex to pay $18.5M to NYAG, cease trading in New York", Amy Castor
- "The curious case of Tether: a complete timeline of events", Amy Castor
- "Cryptocurrency firms Tether and Bitfinex agree to pay $18.5 million fine to end New York probe ", CNBC
- Press release from the New York Attorney General
Binance stated that they had been able to freeze users' assets on the BNB Chain partway through the incident. However, as of June 2023, Binance had not taken any steps to return the frozen funds to their original owners.
The project was exploited only hours later, by attackers who stole more than 7.9 BTC (~$275,000) by taking advantage of high slippage on the platform.
- "Saddle Finance", Rekt